Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday / Lent

Today is Ash Wednesday. As I am in the RCIA process, today is a big deal, not just for me, but for Catholics. Today marks the beginning of Lent. A journey of 40 days that leads us into the Easter celebration.
I am not all too familiar with Lent and where it comes from and what all the significant means yet. What I do know is this: Jesus gave us the ultimate sacrifice. Himself for us. During Lent, we are to sacrifice something in return, even though it will never add up to what he gave for us.

In the spirit of sacrifice, I have decided I will participate in Lent this year, as it will be my first one, and I am becoming a full-fledged Catholic this Easter. (I just realized that means in 40 days!!) It is a perfect way to prepare myself for the end of my long journey, and the beginning of a new phase of my life.
I realize my sacrifices aren't the greatest, and they aren't very difficult. Give me some leeway here, it's my first time. I have also decided that since I will be sacrificing something of myself, I also want to give to those around me.

Sacrifice: I will give up verbalizing profanity. (you're laughing... I know it) When I am angry, frustrated, injure myself, or am running super late for something, I swear. It's a bad habit, and I'd like to kick it. I'm sure my fiance would love for me to get rid of it as well.

Charity: I will make a phone call each week to a friend. I have many friends who I lived in close proximity to that I am now no where near. We are in different provinces or different sides of the one I'm in.  They are important to me, and I don't think I truly show my love as often as I should. My biggest excuse? I'm too busy to make a phone call. It's a lame excuse since a simple phone call could be 20 minutes, and it's more than enough to say "i miss you and thanks for being my friend"

3 comments:

  1. I wish I had words to express how proud I am of you! Your sacrifices maybe simple to you, but they mean so much to me.
    Your choices show spiritual growth, which in my view is the point of Lent, but too many people get caught up in giving up Tim Horton's or something lame along those lines. You're the first person I've heard mention the charity portion. May you convert people to your type of Catholicism!
    My personal view of Lent is expressed at the end of the movie Chocolat with Johnny Depp and Julie Binochet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, I will have to go and watch Chocolat again :)
    I always forget about the charity side of things. Someone on a forum reminded me of it and I thought it was good to include.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the calling a friend weekly idea!

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!