Tuesday, March 23, 2010

14/25: Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

This book gets 4.5 stars.
The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1)I did not want to finish this book because it was so good. I didn't want it to end! Kvothe is a character you really get into and feel for. Everything he feels, you feel. I kept forgetting he is only 15 years old. The amount of life experience that he went through over the course of the novel was incredible. The only thing that kept me thinking he was young was his continuing conflict with Ambrose and how naive he was around women.
The story pulled me in again and again. I would breath fast at the climatic parts, I would laugh at the humourous parts, and I would feel sorrow at the sad parts.

Praise for Patrick Rothfuss writing Name of The Wind.His writing style describes in detail the scenery and the characters. He leaves little cliff-hangers within the book and gives you a break as you read the next chapter, only to pull you back in after the break is over. I found this mildly annoying yet it was such a good thing. I was constantly reading 'one more chapter' just to find out what happens!
I appreciated the fact that he never let you forget Kvothe was remembering his life. The breaks that brought the reader back to the present were greatly appreciated and reminded me that Kvothe survives. That he makes it through all the trials and tribulations.

This book counted for 15 points for the task of "Read a book over 600 pages"

2 comments:

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!