Sunday, March 28, 2010

15/25: Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1)
A coworker lent me this book. I devoured it in a couple of days. Very easy read, very entertaining. It was mindless, but I enjoyed the break from the more in depth seriousness of the books I have been reading lately.

I won't write too much about it, as I don't want to ruin it for anyone who plans on reading it. The basic idea is that the Greek God Zues has his Lightning Bolt stolen. Percy is sent to find it. He travels through Hell and back (literally, meeting Hades is not something everyone gets to do) and is an amazing hero. He has ADHD and dislexia. A fantastic book for those kids that think they are different. It really gets you to believe that being different is a good thing! Something a lot of kids could use these days to tell them it's ok not to be perfect, just be who you are.

I don't know if I'll read the rest of the books. It didn't pull me in enough to make me want to grab the other 4 books. Perhaps on a day when I don't have 12 sitting on my desk waiting to be read.

I used this book in the WBC for the task of "main cahracter goes through a major life change". I'd say it's a pretty big change to find out you're a demi-god.

4 comments:

  1. I would like to see the movie now that I've read the book. I know it's a kids show (I'd classify the book more as Children's Lit, than YA).
    Maybe when it hits the cheap theatre I'll go. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I might have to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manda, It's pretty good. Quick for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!