Sunday, May 16, 2010

26/50: Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

(You'll notice the title is now out of 50 to reflect my new goal)

MiddlesexMiddlesex is the story of a girl who, because of a recessive gene is a hermaphrodite. She has male and female genitalia. I thought this book would be really interesting. It's not something I normally read, but it happens to be on the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die list. And in turn, that is one of the tasks in the Spring Book Challenge on the Nest Book Club.

I would give this book 2 stars (out of 5).
This book took me forever to read. I found it slow for the first 300 or so pages. I guess I was expecting more out of it. I found the story of Cal/Calliope didn't get started until 3/4 of the way through, and then ended before I could really learn about him/her. I felt like the story didn't get started until the book finished. Very disappointing. I actually had to flip through the last couple pages to see if I was missing some from the book. Apparently I wasn't, but I felt like the story ended without finishing. I have so many more questions. I wouldn't say this book is about Cal/Calliope at all! It's about her ancestors more so. Her grandparents and her parents.

I'm glad I got through it. I know if it hadn't counted towards a task in the SBC, I would not have finished reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!