Thursday, May 27, 2010

Movie Review (9): One Week

Ben Tyler (Joshua Jackson) has been diagnosed with cancer. With a grim chance of survival in the best case scenario even if he immediately begins treatment, he instead decides to take a motorcycle trip from Toronto through the Canadian prairies to British Columbia. Along the way, he makes new friends, reevaluates his relationship with his fiancée Samantha (played by Liane Balaban), his job, and his dream of becoming a writer, and, after suffering some near-death experiences, learns to appreciate life.

I recorded this movie on the PVR so I would have something to watch while Frenchie is away. Season finales are airing so there is little left to watch. I am very glad I did.

I loved this movie. The scenery showed how beautiful Canada really is and that we need to take some time to enjoy it. Ben makes a life changing decision by deciding not to do treatment. He choose life first instead of being a 'patient' (as he says often in the movie).  He learns something from each person he meets and he also changes their life in some small way without even knowing it. One thing I liked about the story itself was that it didn't concentrate on his having cancer. It concentrated on him living life and dealing with the cards he was given.  I can't say the movie brought me to tears. I believe it could depending on your state of mind.

As a Canadian, I suppose I loved this movie because they had the typical things Canadians do. Ben stopped for coffee at Tim Horton's and rolled up the rim to win. Something most Canadians do yearly when the contest is on. They accurately showed what the different provinces had to offer in terms of scenery. (Yes, Saskatchewan was very flat).  I even recognized one of the roads that Ben drove on. I know it by heart because I've been on it to get to our yearly holiday location since before I was 5 years old. I felt proud to be from such a beautiful country. From a place that even with death staring Ben in the face, he found enjoyment.

I would recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!