Tuesday, June 15, 2010

30/50: The Bell Jar by Silvia Plath

The Bell JarThe Bell Jar made me fall asleep several times. I didn't find the writing particularily good. I realize the story is about the main character descending into depression, but I didn't get that. I found the book itself depressing, but seem to have missed what triggered her to descend. There was no climax, no excitment and not really much of an ending. I was so disappointed in this one. I was looking forward to reading it, but have been left wishing I hadn't.

The Bell Jar was a semi-autobiography of Sylvia Plath, and that made me want to read the book knowing that the character and author had similar experiences. I almost feel bad for not liking the book because it was based on some truth.


2 comments:

  1. I love the Bell Jar! So sorry you didn't care for it! It is rumored that Plath had written most of the sequel to it, but then threw it in a fireplace in the middle of a fight with her husband right before she killed herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivea, I think the reason I didn't like it was because I saw pieces of myself in her at the beginning. Seeing what it led to was not comforting.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!