Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Movie Review (12): My Sister's Keeper


My Sister's Keeper  popped up on the PVR last week, so I recorded it to watch Monday night.
This is not a movie I should have watched alone. I sobbed through the last half of the movie. I could have really used a hug after it. The movie is based on the book My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.

Kate is diagnosed with Lukemia as a young child. Her parents are given the advice of their doctor that a second child, could help Kate. Anna is a petri dish baby born for this reason: To help her sister live.  When Anna turns 11, she sues her parents for medical emancipation. She wants to live her life and have choices. Kate is in need of a kidney transplant, which Anna is told she will provide, leaving her with a limited life.

I've been told that the movie ends the exact opposite of the book. I have not read the book, but I've been told the ending, and I can see why they ended the movie differently. Both are heart-wrenching, but the  book ending would be so much harder to watch.

If you watch this movie, I highly suggest watching with a friend and a box of kleenex. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Watch the DVD                    Read the book
My Sister's Keeper        My Sister's Keeper: A Novel

1 comment:

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!