Thursday, July 8, 2010

34/50: Second Helpings (Jessica Darling #2)

Second Helpings (Jessica Darling, #2)Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Summer and another year of school with Jessica Darling.

I loved that everything continued from the previous book. Jessica goes through a bit of an identity crisis in trying to find out who she really is and what she wants in her life. She spends so much time worrying about what everyone else thinks of her, she forgets about what she wants.
She makes some classic high school mistakes and as one character puts it, she is so focused on seeing people and how they fit into her life, she forgets to see them for who they really are.

I love these books and the parallels that it draws to my own high school days. Jessica dates a guy she kind of likes, but not really. More to get people to stop bugging her and do the normal high school thing. Been there!

Megan McCafferty writes these books so 'matter-of-fact' and bluntly that it's truly believable. The characters are typical to any high school, but shown in their true light. I love that Jessica is a relatable character.  Each book seems to resolve the over-arching plot, leaving little subplots open and a feeder into the next book. It leaves me wanting more!

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!