Saturday, October 16, 2010

46/50: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall (Book 1)Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Hex Hall follows Sophie, a witch who keeps messing up her spells and constantly having to move around. After a number of mistakes, The Council sends her to Hecate Hall (Hex Hall). It's a school for gifted kids who have become a danger to themselves or the world and don't know how to live in the human world properly.

I really liked this book! Sophie was a great character. She was funny, snarky and I felt bad for her a lot. She was put into a school where she was at a huge disadvantage. Most of the kids were brought up with supernatural parents. Sophie wasn't and doesn't know a lot about her own kind. I liked the dynamics of the book because not only did it have the magical element, but it also had the side of how mean teenage girls and boys can be to each other. Sophie was not only battling to learn about her kind, but also to navigate the world of teenagers and trying to make friends.

I did gasp a little in this book at a few parts that I didn't see coming. I was impressed with the way Rachel Hawkins wrote and how she surprised the audience (or at least I was).  I can't wait to read the next book!!

Find this book on amazon

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to read this for a while...maybe I will use the next Border's 40% off coupon for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't expect to love this book, but I did. It was laugh out loud funny in a lot of parts.

    Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!