Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Infamous Religion Quiz

I found this quiz on a fellow bloggers site: Sugar & Spice
It's 32 questions long, Take it and see how you do. Here's the link.


After reading her post, I had to take the quiz and see for myself. In her post, she doesn't seem to think too highly of Catholics, and as a Catholic myself, I wanted to see how I stood up to her thoughts.
I got 26/32. Not too bad and pretty close to her score of 29/32. I'm also Canadian, so the ones I did get wrong were based on the US school system. I wouldn't know those, so I based them on our Canadian school system, which seems to be different from the US. I got a few others wrong, mostly on the Mormon religion. Sadly I can't say that I know any Mormons. There doesn't seem to be a huge community of them where I live. Not an excuse, just a part of my upbringing.

*jumps on soapbox*
People who make a point to learn about other religions aren't always atheists or agnostics. I made a point in university to take religion courses that explored religions from around the world. Canada is a melting pot of people and at any given time, you'll be in a place with a multitude of belief systems. I personally embrace diversity because I feel like we can really learn from each other. There's also a sense of respect. You'll be better able to respect the people you are friends with, work with, commute with if you understand where they are coming from.
 
*gets off soapbox
 
I'm not one to usually take a stand, but religion is a such a sore point to people. No matter what yours is, it's your belief system. People might think you're crazy, and some people might agree with you. Whatever it is, it's yours. Believe in what you believe in!
I know first hand how hard it is to get people to understand your beliefs. After a while, you just say it's not worth it, and go on with your life. I converted to be a Catholic and it was difficult. People always asked me why. Is it because you want to get married in the Church? Well no, I wasn't engaged when I was converting. And for the record, you can get married in the Church if one of you in the relationship isn't Catholic. I converted because I wanted to. I did my research, I went to various other religious establishments. the Catholic church felt like home to me.

4 comments:

  1. oooo. Fun quiz! I got a 31, and I am a Protestant. The one I missed was about the Jewish leader. I don't like these reports that try and separate people based on their religion- one of my students told me that they ask for your religion on the PSAT this year (IDK if you have that in Canada- it is a huge standardized test). What does religion tell you about math and reading skills? Anyways, there's a cartoon that I found that kind of sums up my feelings on the issue:

    http://xkcd.com/774/

    People are people.

    Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison - that is a great cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also Catholic, and I also got 26/32!

    Gooooooooooooooo, Catholics!

    However, I do live in the US, so not taking into account the Canada curve, you definitely beat me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a 28/32. Not too bad, but I definitely agree that these reports can be very irritating to hear too. I grew up in a Lutheran school system from the time I was 3 until high school graduation, and so I spent a lot of time in religion classes. In high school, we did learn about other religions and religious groups, and I think that knowledge was really helpful (though obviously I have forgotten some of the leaders names and dates at this point). I really liked this post though. I wish religion wasn't such a taboo subject.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!