Sunday, November 7, 2010

49/50: Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

HaloHalo by Alexandra Adornetto

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This book made me smile every day I read it.
Bethany is such a unique character to read about. As an angel sent down from Heaven she has no preconceptions of Earth and earthly things. Every sight, smell, sound and touch is completely unique to her and she experiences them all for the first time. As much as this is a YA novel and does have the silly teenage stuff in it, it also has that element that even an adult will sit and think about. Experiencing and appreciating the things around you for the first time isn't something we do. We take most everything for granted and don't typically really see what is there. Bethanys character made me stop and walk a little slower in the morning. Sit and enjoy my coffee rather than rushing off with it in hand. She made me stop and look around me and appreciate the wind that seems to be blowing around the city lately. I'm not sure if Adornetto intended for that to be an outcome for the reader but it was for me and it made me love this book.

On to the actual story.
Ivy, Gabriel and Bethany are sent from Heaven on a mission to save the small town of Venus Cove. There are things happening that are the work of dark forces. The three angels are sent to counteract this and bring peace back to the town. Bethany, being 17 becomes a student. Like most YA novels, she falls in love. I found this story a little like Romeo & Juliet because Ivy and Gabriel didn't want her to see Xavier. She continued to anyways. What was different was that Xavier is a very wholesome character. He comes from a Christian family that has a lot of love. I felt myself smile whenever he talked about his family, and whenever Bethany talked about them. One thing I find rare in YA novels is whole families. Caring families. So many books have broken homes, so it was nice to see a different story.

The evil force that comes into their lives was a little predictable, but I didn't see parts of the plot coming. I was thinking in a different direction than the book went so that was refreshing. I did enjoy the characters and the descriptions of them.

I can't wait for the second book in the series, Hades, to come out next year! I would certainly recommend this book to people. It was nice to see a book that wasn't about vampires or werewolves. Thank you Alexandra Adornetto for such a wonderful book!

Buy Halo now!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!