Sunday, January 9, 2011

1/50: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (Contains Slight Spoilers)


OutlanderOutlander by Diana Gabaldon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was amazing! I lost a lot of sleep reading it.
Gabaldon does an amazing job of describing in detail every situation. I felt like I was truly there. I found some of the detailing went a bit long, and there was some scenes in the novel that could have been left out easily and not hindered the story at all. I will say that there were some points of the book that I would not have written any other way.

Jamie and Claire have such an amazing love bond that it warms my heart. The way she loved Jamie was no match for her love for Frank in her own time. There would be no way to match that bond. The things she learns about Franks ancestors would have made it incredibly difficult to love him.

There were parts of Outlander that made me cringe and I had a hard time reading. As hard as they were to read, they were completely necessary. Some of the things that Jamie had to tell Claire to make her understand his pain and why he is the way he is was heart-wrenching. I had to read those parts slowly, in small bits. One thing I will say, this book will get your blood going. A few of the scenes, (the wedding night perhaps?) made me blush.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone with a love for historical fiction who understands that those were different times and things we would forbid today, were quite acceptable in the past. It is an amazing love story, a story of strength and of a woman who has the courage to do whatever it takes to protect the ones she loves.

Challenges this book counts for:
Winter Book Challenge 2011: 15 points for a book with 500+ pages
2011 Ebook Challenge: 1 book towards Addicted level

View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. I read this just about a year ago. I really liked it, but it was a slow read for me. The next one in the series keeps sliding further and further down my "to read" list. Eventually, I hope I'll get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The series only gets better and the Lord John series is just as good and ties into the main story amazingly well, though if you didn't read them, you could still follow along.

    As you know I'm HUGE fan of hers. It's amazing to think her first line work was as a university prof in biology.

    Ha! I still remember the wedding night 15 years later. "where'd you learn to kiss like that?" "I said I was a virgin, not a monk"

    c

    PS If it's too much spoiler feel free to delete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore this series! I'm currently listening to Outlander on my iPod...I read it over a year ago and it's still great!

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!