Wednesday, January 19, 2011

3/50: The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman

The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts
The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate by Gary Chapman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars








I bought this book after Frenchie and I went to a marriage prep course last August. Finally getting around to reading it now. I suppose with the wedding approaching, it's fitting to read it. Start the marriage off right.

I really enjoyed it. I think that it will make a difference in my relationship. I know most people would probably pick up this book if they were having relationship problems, but I read it because it was recommended by our church. I can see how reading this before marriage is a good idea. If you think about what Gary Chapman is saying, it does make sense. We all feel love differently. We all have something that our spouse says/does/gives that makes us feel loved. We also have things they do that don't make a difference, not that they aren't nice or appreciated, but they don't give that same feeling to us.

The 5 Love Languages are basic, but have many dialects. I thought this was profound. There are different ways to express each love language, and finding that particular dialect of your spouse is crucial.

Frenchie decided to read this as well, so I'm interested to talk about it with him and see what he thinks when he's done.

I would definitely recommend this book for anyone in a relationship.

WBC 2011: 5 Points - Book with a "love" word in the title

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. It is such a good idea to do this kind of prep before marriage! I think a lot of people thing the love and romance will carry them through marriage, but man, marriage is LONG. It takes work and serious understanding. Sounds like a great book to prepare for a lifetime commitment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what they told us at our marriage prep course, being married is hard work, not easy, and you have to work at it.
    We've been together for 4 years, but I still think we have a lot to learn about each other and even more once we're actually married.
    I think a lot of people should read this.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!