Friday, January 7, 2011

Book Blogger Hop (1 of 2011)

Book Blogger Hop

Happy New Year and Welcome back everyone!!
I'm going to try and participate monthly in this meme.

the Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Crazy-For-Books.com and is a place just for book bloggers and readers to connect and share our love of the written word!  This weekly BOOK PARTY is an awesome opportunity for book bloggers to connect with other book lovers, make new friends, support each other, and generally just share our love of books!  It will also give blog readers a chance to find other book blogs to read!

Thanks for hopping by!

This week's question comes from Ivan who blogs at Ivan Bookworm:


"What book influenced or changed your life? How did it influence/change you?"

The book that immediately comes to mind is Still Alice by Lisa Genova. This book is about a a Harvard professor that develops early-onset Alzheimer's disease. The book is told from her perspective beautifully. I read this book on a plane back from vacation and I can tell you people must have thought I was crazy. I sobbed through most of it, smiled, laughed and couldn't put it down.
This book made me realize how important our memory is, how precious it is. Alice was an amazingly strong character and the way she dealt with the disease was incredible. I will forever remember this book and how it made me feel. I cherish my family and the memories of them more.
We all know about alzheimer's and what it does. Genova made me see it from the affecteds point of view and I thank her for that. It showed just how awful it would be to experience it yourself.

Still Alice

7 comments:

  1. Interesting. I haven't read this book, but I've seen it reviewed all over the place. Looks like I need ot get my hands on a copy of it.

    Glad to have found you via the Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will probably come of something as a surprise but the book that changed/influenced my life (more than any other) is a non-fiction book. I know we all focus on novels and the fanciful fiction we love to read but The Four Work Week is the book that gets all the credit. I know the title sounds fictional but it really isn’t. Hop over to my blog and find out why – http://www.howardsherman.net

    Happy Book Blogger Hop Day!


    Howard A. Sherman

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a single book to point to. Come by and see why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added this to my TBR. It looks really good. Also, I gave you a blogger award.
    http://lovelylittlelisha.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's excellent Lisha.
    Thanks for the award!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopping through. New follower!
    Still Alice sounds fascinating. I should really read it.
    Happy weekend!
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't heard about Still Alice...sounds good.

    Stopping by from the hop...

    Find my answer at:

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!