Thursday, February 3, 2011

6/50: Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler

Hunger
Hunger by Jackie Kessler
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I have never read a book about the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse so I thought this would be great.

Hunger was ok. I would actually give it 2.5 over 2 simply because of how Kessler captures Lisabeth's thoughts and inner struggle with her disease.

The story was interesting enough. Ironic really. An anorexic/suicidal 17-year old becomes Famine. I liked the idea, I liked the contradiction and I thoroughly enjoyed that Lisabeth seemed real. I believe Jackie Morse Kessler captured the thoughts of an anorexic girl accurately. Not knowing from experience, but imagining what it would be like to battle every single thing one puts in their body, I think she nailed it.

My biggest beef with this book was that it was too short. I felt like it was rushed through. It was slow to start, picked up and then ended. It ended so abruptely that I didn't think it actually concluded anything. Without giving spoilers, I needed more. There's more to the story to start with (why was she anorexic in the first place? More detail please), more could have been done with her actually being Famine (she only rode her steed a few times), and the ending was not complete for me (What happens after?).

I did enjoy the fact that Kessler made Death Kurt Cobain. :) I thought this was awesome but also rather funny since the intended YA audience probably has no appreciation for who he was.

WBC 2011: A library book - 5 points
View all my reviews

1 comment:

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!