Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Therapy Tuesday: Bowen Therapy

It's been a long time since I've done a Therapy Tuesday post. I thought I would bring one back today to talk about a new therapy I'm trying for my wrist.
If you are a new reader, here's some background. Old readers, do you remember when I had no pain? After prolotherapy, I was 4 months pain free! Sadly, the pain is back, but not nearly as bad as it once was. I was off work for 3 months and I think my wrist had a good rest. I'm went back to work in October and found my wrist acting up again by November. I ignored it for a month and finally went for a massage in December. January I tried physio again and have since stopped going. I don't see the point of paying for a service that I could do at home, even if it IS covered by insurance.
After talking about ergnomics and RSI's (repetitive strain injuries) with our safety coordinator at work, she mentioned that she does Bowen Therapy. I'm always up to try anything that might help, so I looked into it.

I went for my first treatment last Saturday. I like it! The therapy uses your body's natural healing mechanism to losen, tighten, heal your muscles. It triggers a feedback loop from brain to muscle. After leaving, I could actually feel my muscles relax later in the day and the next day as well. My wrist doesn't feel much different today then it would normally, but with all things, it takes time.

More information:

Bowen Therapy Academy of Australia
Bowenwork Canada Registry
An introduction to the Bowen Technique (Video)
Bowen Technique John Wilks Pt1 (Video)
Bowen Technique John Wilks Pt2 (Video)
Bowen Technique John Wilks Pt3 (Video)
Pain Relief with Bowen Therapy (Video)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!