Wednesday, April 6, 2011

16/50: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
From Goodreads: Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love

My review:
Delirium was truly breathtaking.

The idea of love being a disease was a little unnerving because there are so many wonderful things about being in love I can't imagine willingly wanting to cure it. The way they described love as a disease was completely believable. I've had all those symptoms. I HAVE the deliria. All stages of it, except for Stage 4, in which it kills you (really? Someone in the upper echelons must have had it bad and got burned to make the US a loveless place) There would be no way I would wish to have that cured. The pain and the happiness is well worth it and is what makes us human.
Lena was a great character. She was so set on having the cure until she meets Alex and her world is turned upside down. After falling in love, she sees the world she was so set on being a part of as lies and dull. She is confused and not sure what to do. I love her strength and bravery.

The characters around her who were afraid of contracting deliria pissed me off. (Well done Lauren for writing such amazing characters!) I wanted to hit them over the head with a reality stick or shake them out of this coma they willingly put themselves in. Any time a book gets me really riled up is worth it.

I had a lot of "oh no" moments readig this. I had a "No! This can't be happening right now!" moments. I even teared up and cried a little in some parts. There were twists that I thought I had figured out and knew what was going to happen, only to be completely surprised.

I cannot wait to read Pandemonium when it comes out next year. (A whole year?? hurmph)

I will definitely be picking up Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.

SBC 2011: Book 1 of 2 for Read a 5 star rated book by a friend and a 1 star book.
Book Journey 2011: Portland (updated map)
chicfit

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I've seen this cover around the blogosphere but didn't really know what it was about. Gonna add it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie - glad I could help! It's definitely worth the read.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!