Friday, June 24, 2011

24/50: Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire - J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Wow. Just Wow. I did not see that coming! I wasn't sure if I was going to like this one more than the Prisoner of Azkaban, but I'm going to say it's a close tie. Book 3 was incredible and started turning darker. The Goblet of Fire went all the way. From the last 200 pages I could not put it down. The twists that came were completely unexpected and I am still reeling over bits of it.

I am completely hooked after reading this one. I can't wait to continue! If the rest of the books head in the same dark direction as this one, I'm in for a wicked ride.

I try and keep spoilers out of my reviews so this will be very vague. I feel like one of the last people on this side of the pond to not have read Harry Potter before, but yes, we do exist.

The Triwizard Tournament was exciting. Having this theme carry through the entire book and then everything else on top of it was so much to take in. It seemed like the main plot to begin with but morphed into so much more.

We learn new things about Hagrid that make me love him even more. He's such a gentle soul and a caring man. I love how much he cares about Harry, Ron and Hermione.

I liked the new characters they introduced. There's always a new character or two in each book that seems to be a new "main character" and serves their purpose well. On the flipside, there is always another character added that irks me almost as much as Malfoy did in the first book. Great writing by Rowling for making me despise a character so much I actually cheer when they get what's coming to them.

Snape.. I still don't trust him but I don't want him to be evil in anyway. I love Alan Rickman and would hate to see him as a bad guy. Sigh...

Ron and Hermione. Get on with it and kiss already!! I will be so incredibly disappointed if I get to the end of this series and SOMETHING doesn't happen between them. I love the young love they have yet to notice about each other.

Siruis Black. Oh Sirius. I heart you and all your awesomeness.

Voldemort. Wow. Dude. You are one bad a$$ guy. I can't even. There are no words.

A note about the writing. Rowling. You are AMAZING! Every little detail is so well thought out. Everything has it's reason for being in there. You pull in things from past books, get the reader ready for the future books. I think I've said this before but I am so happy to be able to read these as an adult and fully appreciate them.
SBC 2011: Read a book with over 15,000 ratings on Goodreads - 15 points
Book Journey 2011: London (since Hogwarts isn't on any map I've ever seen)

View all my reviews

chicfit

1 comment:

  1. You will absolutely love the next books. They get a million times BETTER!
    I love Snape lol.

    Jennifer @ http://booksrecipesandlifeohmy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!