Wednesday, August 31, 2011

31/50: Wither by Lauren Destefano

Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1)Wither by Lauren DeStefano

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


When I first read about this book, I wasn't sure I was going to like it. Polygamy isn't something I understand, but from what I do know, I disagree with it. I'm not sure whether to be disturbed or enlightened. The girls are so young when they get taken and forced to marry and have babies right away. It seems so wrong.

I liked the characters. They interacted well with each other and were so completely different they complimented each other. I was sad for all the characters as well. Especially Linden, Jenna, Cecily, Rhine and Gabriel. They all had a different point of view on their situations that vastely differed.  Ranging from thinking being made a wife is the best possible outcome in life; Or that being made a wife is like prison, or a slow death.

There was something comfortable about the lives the three girls were brought into. Something safe. Rhine knew what freedom really was having grown up with parents and a brother. Jenna and Cecily didn't being orphaned or sold into prostitution. For them, the mansion meant "home", for Rhine it was a prison. I can't wait to see what happens in the next book.

It wasn't a feel good book, but definitely makes you think about what you would do if you only had until the age of 20/25 to live. Rhine never got to experience the "live life to it's fullest because it ends so soon" mentality until she was bought to be a bride. What would you do? Would you accept the life you were sold into and embrace it? Or would you fight to escape and be free, even if free means running for your life.

View all my reviews

SuBC2011 - Read a YA Book - 5 points
BookJourney2011 - Manhattan and Florida
chicfit

1 comment:

  1. I recently read this and thought it was ok. I'll probably read the 2nd book, but only if I can check it out from the library.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!