Friday, September 2, 2011

32/50: Water for Elephants by Sera Gruen

Water for ElephantsWater for Elephants by Sara Gruen

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


It took me a long time to listen to this book. I liked the story, I liked the narrator, I just wasn't grabbed. I could put it away and come back to it a week later without feeling that pull. I wanted really badly to love this book because of all the wonderful things I'd heard about it.

I liked the characters. The way they were written made you feel exactly how you were supposed to about them.  I hated August. I thought Marlena was stuck between a rock and a hard place. I thought Jacob was likable enough as a young man, and loved him as a 93 year old.
The secondary characters were great as well. Such dynamics. Walter grew on me throughout the story. He ended up being one of my favorites.

The alternating point of views from Old Jacob remembering to Young Jacob telling the story first hand was great. The book wouldn't have had the same effect without the reminiscing chapters.

It's hard to review books you don't love or hate. There was nothing spectacular in it that made me want to recommend it to everyone I know. There was nothing in it that made me say no way, don't read it. It was a good book, and I can see why people loved it, it just wasn't my favorite.
I do however want to see the movie now because I have finished reading it. I think it would translate well into film. As much as I am not a Robert Pattinson fan, I think he would do a great job of playing Jacob.
SuBC 2011: Book on a summer reading list - 10 points
Book Journey 2011: United States.

View all my reviews

chicfit

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree. I finished in in 2 days but I didn't feel that pull. I got the end and thought "that's it, it's over."

    It was a good book, I recommend it all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!