Tuesday, October 4, 2011

33/50: Feed by Mira Grant

Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy #1)Feed by Mira Grant
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I wasn't sure I'd like this book. I'm not a politics fan at all. In fact I have an aversion to politics altogether. If someone says "here read this, it's about a presidential campaign", I'll say "No thanks". I was blown away by how much I enjoyed this book.

Shameless book club props: The amazing thing about having a book club pick a book is that you expand your reading base. My Nest Book Club has brought me to books that I never would have picked up on my own and they are some of my favorites.

Feed grabbed me from the beginning and didn't let go even when I finished. I have plans to read the next one for sure. I even got my husband to read it and I swear he likes it more than I did.
This isn't a zombie book in the way you might think. It's more about a political campaign and the zombies are just... there.  (yes this is a political book and I really liked it) The zombies have been around for so long, people are able to live their lives with all the blood tests, regulations and paranoia. Some people hide, others face it full force.

The characters are believable. Shaun, Buffy, Rick and Georgia are perfect for their roles. They are all so different, yet work so well together. They have such drastically different personalities it's interesting to see how they react to each other.

The world that Grant created was incredible. She didn't set the world up all at once. She gives you a little, then continues with the story until something needs to be explained. You get the full idea of the world they live in throughout the book and never feel like you're missing anything. You get the information when it comes up and not any sooner. You remember the details because you go them when they were relevant. The history lessons on how the world got to where it was made sense. Sure there were lots of questions in the beginning, but the big ones were answered quickly.

I read this book as if it was a movie. In fact, there are a few people who read it that think it SHOULD be a movie. A lot of times we say that and the book wouldn't translate well. This one would.

I recommend picking this one up. As I said, it's not really about zombies, it's about a presidential campaign, the scandals, lies and truth. Zombies are just there to mess with your day and maybe eat a few people.

Summer Book Challenge: Book Club choice - 10 points
View all my reviews

chicfit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!