Friday, October 7, 2011

35/50: Sweetly by Jackson Pearce

SweetlySweetly by Jackson Pearce
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Sweetly was a good, well written book. I couldn't give it 4 stars as much as I wanted to. Hansel and Gretal, from what I remember was about a cannabalistic witch in the woods. There was no witch in this book at all. That's the biggest hang up I have.

Aside from that, the book was great. The characters were good. Gretchen was weak at the beginning as a scared girl and developed into this strong defiant woman. She stood up for herself and that's what I love about Pearce's books. The women are strong. They are characters that people can identify with on a base level and grow with. Gretchen, put through a trauma of losing her twin sister grew to be not just half a sister, but into a person all herself.

I also like the guys in her books. Samual wasn't fawning over Gretchen, but there was this care he had for her that seemed real. There wasn't a "poof we're in love" thing going on. There wasn't a "omgheissohotiwanthisbabies" thing happening. I get the teenage love thing, it's in a lot of books and it does reflect a lot of today's teens. What I love about Sweetly is that although Samual had this care for Gretchen, it's as if he knew she had to collect herself and get herself together and would wait for her patiently. He wasn't obsessive, pushy or anything like that. Just a guy, who cared about her in the only way she needed.

As I said above, I liked the book, but it wasn't nearly as good as Sisters Red.
Having said that, I still can't wait to read the next book Jackson Pearce releases.
View all my reviews

chicfit

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm surprised about the witch thing. The thing I loved about Sisters Red was that it took the whole "wolf" part and turned it on its head. Despite that, I think I'll still pick this one up. I enjoy Jackson Pearce's writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would still recommend it, I just had a hard time with it not having a witch since it was Hansel and Gretel.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!