Thursday, December 1, 2011

40/50: The Bronze Horsman by Paulina Simons

The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1)The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book had some amazing recommendations. (Thank you book pushers, you're feeding my addiction well) I love historical fiction and I haven't read any in Russia.

The Bronze Horseman was heartbreaking beautiful. I'm not usually one to cry during books but this one did it. As much of a love story between Tatiana and Alexander as this book was, that wasn't the part brought tears. The life that Tatiana had to go through during the war broke my heart. The descriptions of how those around her dealt with the life they were living really hits you. Nothing quite hits home like Tatiana losing family members. After reading parts of this book I wanted to call my family and tell them I loved them. The next time I saw my sisters I hugged them and felt so thankful we don't live in a time like this book.

Aside from the family drama and chaos, the descriptions Simons gives of the world around Tatiana was so vivid. The part that struck me the hardest was when Tatiana was going to get rations and she passes a man. When she looks back, he falls down and dies. The writing was so amazing that you couldn't help but feel this overwhelming sadness.

I couldn't give this book 5 stars for one reason. Tatiana irritated me so much! I get that she is only 17/18 years old but given the timeframe of the novel, I would expect a little less tantrum-child and a little more woman. I got so frustrated near the end that I was just wanting to finish the book.

A lot of my book pushers went on to read the next books in the series, but I won't be. The story wrapped up fairly well, and it didn't give me any desire to continue.
View all my reviews

chicfit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!