Thursday, March 14, 2013

8/30: City of Ashes (MI #2) by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Read from February 21 to March 14, 2013
Format: Ebook
**THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS**

From Goodreads: Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father

I started this one immediately after finishing the first. This series is one that sucks you into a new world and you don't want to come back to reality. The newly added characters added more depth and insight to the favourites from City of Bones. Cassandra Clare wrote The Inquisitor in this book to infuriate you, put you in a rage and yell at this book. If you read Harry Potter, remember Delores Umbridge? She was a character that I truly hated, and knew it was because of how well she was written. (I can't emphasize how much I hated her, even my husband remembers her name and he's never read the books) Cassandra Clare made me feel that way about The Inquisitor, but on a smaller scale. I was seething every time I saw her name, but she was still a thorn in my side.

Valentine... why are you so evil?! I like you even though I'm not supposed to. (Could it be because I know Jonathan Rhys Meyers plays him in the movie? yum!)

Jace is still arrogant, frustrating and kick ass. Clary is less whiny than most female characters which is refreshing. She has some kick butt powers that I hope she develops more in the books to come. I can't wait for her and Jace to discover what else they can do and what makes them both "special". But they really need to stop and just be brother and sister. It's weird.

Magnus is awesome. He's got to be one of my favourite characters just based on sass alone. If you've watched an episode of Banshee, Job  (Hoon Lee) would be my choice for Magnus. He has sass!!

I'm also loving Luke. He seems like such a great "father" the Clary and genuinely cares about her and her friends. He gives her the space she needs a teenager, but at the same time will always be there for her.

Simon, poor Simon. I was annoyed with him in the first book and really starting to like him now. He's the best friend, the guy that wants more, gets it and then realizes what they had as best friends is better. I love that! I had a friend like that and being besties was by far greater than anything else.

I'm excited for the next instalment! Queued up and ready on my eReader already.

View all my reviews

chicfit

2 comments:

  1. I tried not to read much of this since I haven't even read the first one yet, but OMG I saw Jonathan Rhys Meyers and OMG'ed. LOL So excited I get to see him in something else besides The Tudors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now when you read it you'll picture him. He may be the bad guy, but he's so yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!